Woolworths brings Australia’s first virtual supermarket to Melbourne
Monday 20 February 2012
Woolworths’ mobile shopping revolution continues today as the retailer brings Australia’s first virtual supermarket to Melbourne.
Tjeerd Jegen, Woolworths Director of Supermarkets said: “We have constructed a specially made wall inside Flinders Street Station and converted this into a virtual supermarket featuring more that 120 of Woolworths’ most popular products across all product categories, including our famous fresh food.
“Melbourne commuters going through Flinders Street Station will be some of the first in Australia to experience the cutting edge of supermarket innovation.
“The wall, which looks like a Woolworths supermarket shelf, when coupled with the Woolworths App,demonstrates just how simple mobile shopping is in five easy steps:
• Step 1 - download or update the Woolworths App on your iPhone or Android smart phone
• Step 2 - scan the product barcodes off the virtual wall
• Step 3 - add them to your shopping list
• Step 4 - place and pay for your order
• Step 5 - your products are delivered to your kitchen bench
“Following Woolworths’ App mobile shopping update earlier this week, Woolworths is proud to showcase another innovative and convenient concept we are developing to make our customers’ shopping experience easier and tailored to their needs.
“The virtual supermarket is just one idea we are working on to make our customers’ lives easier. The wall will
be at Flinders Street Station for a week and we will be taking feedback from customers throughout this time.
This experience will provide us with important information on how we can develop this concept into the future,”
Mr Jegen said.
The Woolworths virtual supermarket is located at Flinders Street Station (Cnr of Flinders and Swanston streets, Melbourne) at the Swanston St entrance, in between the Police station and retail shops.
The Woolworths App is available to iPhone and Android customers and is free to download. Customers can simply search for “Woolworths” in the App store. Key features available on the Woolworths App for iPhone and Android include:
• Mobile shopping: Browse or scan products, order and pay on your mobile.
• Shopping lists: Create, edit and save shopping lists that will appear in the aisle order of your preferred
store. Also share shopping lists other Woolworths App users.
• Product Finder: Search for products by name or category, scan the barcode and add them to your list.
Share this page on :